Libertas West Midlands candidates

These are your Libertas candidates for the West Midlands region:

Friday 15 May 2009

Jimmy Millard

Hello, my name is James (Jimmy) Millard and I’m a Libertas candidate for the constituency of West Midlands in the European elections on June 4th later this year. I’m married with two young sons and run a internet software business which I started with two colleagues and which serves clients in the UK and overseas.

I consider myself to be a Europhile – that is I was born in France, have lived and studied there on three occasions, (in addition to living in Sweden, Italy and Hungary), and speak decent French and Italian. I have numerous close friends from many EU countries.

I’m standing as a candidate in this election because I’ve long held the view that if we in the UK are to end up as little more than a semi-autonomous region of some huge amorphous federal superstate then at least it should be with the explicit permission of the electorate of this country. I have no doubt that citizens of other countries feel broadly the same way – largely powerless and without voice. It is frankly amazing how we have got so close to that point in Europe now without at any time having had a say in the matter.

Originally an engineer, I started my career in the aerospace industry and have since worked as: a journalist covering the electricity / power generation markets; a strategy executive in industry; a management consultant; and a director of three small technology companies. I feel very strongly about the engineering and manufacturing sector and have witnessed at first hand the extraordinary results that can be achieved both in small entrepreneurial start-ups as well as huge multi-national collaborations between countries – e.g. aerospace programmes like Airbus, Tornado and Eurofighter.

I believe it is essential that industrial investment and technology leadership be maintained if we are to sustain growth and job creation going forwards. I am now in no doubt that EU leadership and competitiveness in many markets is being fast eroded by increasing amounts of unnecessary legislation, leaving US and Far Eastern businesses a golden opportunity to overtake us. I really believe that this summer’s elections offers voters a final opportunity to make some wholesale changes to the way the EU is governed and to ask serious questions about its direction and architecture. Such an opportunity may not come again.

Like many, I am irritated by the waste and excess which is so frequently uncovered in Brussels at all levels, and appalled by the contempt being shown to Irish voters (not to mention French and Dutch ones) by the Commission’s continued attempt to foist the Constitution / Treaty of Lisbon onto them. I am also now sufficiently motivated to leave my comfort zone and fight it.

I think Libertas is a novel and ambitious movement which by virtue of its pan-European scope could really achieve a critical mass in the European Parliament and force meaningful change in the EU before it’s too late. The EU needs major democratic reform, NOW.

I sincerely ask you to vote for me and my colleagues in the West Midlands as part of the new, pan-European Libertas on June 4th.

Thank you, James Millard

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jimmy all the best for the vote count... I placed my vote with you - Martin Johnson

    ReplyDelete