Libertas West Midlands candidates

These are your Libertas candidates for the West Midlands region:

Friday 15 May 2009

Andy Bebbington

Hello, my name is Andy Bebbington and I’m the Libertas candidate for the constituency of West Midlands in the European elections on June 4th later this year. I would like to tell you a bit about myself and Libertas to help you make an informed decision at the ballot box.

I’m fighting in this election because I believe that the EU in its present form is not only bad for my country but is also bad for Europe as a whole. However, it doesn’t have to be that way. With reform, the EU can be turned into something that will be good for itself and for its member states. Through Libertas I want to fight for a better EU that is democratically accountable to all the people of Europe; that doesn’t hide its decision making behind closed doors; that only takes power from member states where it is appropriate and that hands back power to sovereign member states where this is more appropriate.

I trained as an electrical engineer with the Central Electricity Generating Board. During my career, I have worked at several power stations in the UK and abroad. I currently work at a power station in the midlands. My wife is a teacher working with special needs pupils. We have two sons. One is at University studying computer science. The other has special needs and lives in supported accommodation.

Because of EU directives, everything that we do, both at work and at home, involves more and more regulations and unnecessary paperwork. This makes our lives more difficult and stifles innovation and productivity. Every hour spent on paperwork and bureaucracy is one less spent doing something productive. Home Information Packs are a good (or is that bad?) example. Paperwork and expense that no-one wants. Some paperwork is always necessary but the EU seems to take every little task and bury it in a mountain of paper that can’t possibly serve any useful purpose.

So what are Libertas’ and my priorities?
Because I believe that democracy is one of the values that unites ALL Europeans, Libertas will make the EU truly open and accountable. We want to publicize the way decisions are made and who makes them, so that we can make Europe work for us.

The economy is in an unprecedented mess, Libertas and I will ensure that EVERY penny spent by Europe demonstrates value-for-money, in order that we can safeguard our financial future, and that of our children.

For too long, the EU has been run in secrecy by élites and bureaucrats that are unknown to most people. I want to be part of a movement that gives Europe back to its people.

That is why I ask you to vote for me and the new, pan-European party, Libertas on June 4th.

Thank you,

Andy Bebbington

No comments:

Post a Comment